- This event has passed.
Webinar: Complying with the New FLSA Overtime Rules – An Action Plan for Institutions
July 21, 2016 @ 6:00 am - 7:00 am
Strategies to Ensure Best Practices and Legal Compliance in Dealing with Student Accommodation Requests at Your Institution
On May 18, 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) released the long-awaited final regulations for the white collar exemption to the federal overtime pay requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) which increased the salary threshold from $455 per week or $23,660 annually, to $913 a week or $47,476 annually for a full-year worker. This new legislation will have a significant impact on many institutions of higher education as it more than doubles the salary threshold required for employees to qualify as an exempt employee.
Institutions need to be familiar with the new regulations, as misclassification of employees as exempt from FLSA overtime requirements is a costly mistake. They will also need to move quickly to plan and implement any necessary changes by the December 1, 2016 compliance deadline.
We will discuss creating an institutional action plan for evaluating your institution’s current practices and transitioning to the requirements of the final rule, including:
- Conducting an audit of all exempt job positions to identify all potentially impacted employees;
- Issues unique to the positions most likely impacted on your campuses, including residence life staff, admissions staff/recruiters, assistant coaches and athletic trainers;
- Evaluating the best options for compliance given legal, financial, employee morale, and other considerations specific to your institution;
- Determining any unintended consequences of electing certain options for compliance;
- Communicating your action plan; and
- Implementing your action plan.
To learn more about this presentation and to register to attend, please click here.