- This event has passed.
Webinar: Ready or Not, Here They Come – An Action Plan for Higher Education and Student Affairs Professionals to Comply with the New FLSA Overtime Rules
August 16, 2016 @ 8:00 am
HK’s Erin Dolly will present a webinar regarding the New FLSA Overtime Rules.
On May 18, 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) released the long-awaited final regulations for the white collar exemption to the federal overtime pay requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) which increased the salary threshold from $455 per week or $23,660 annually, to $913 a week or $47,476 annually for a full-year worker. This new legislation will have a significant impact on many institutions of higher education and, particularly, student affairs divisions, as it more than doubles the salary threshold required for employees to qualify as an exempt employee.
Institutions need to be familiar with the new regulations, both what they changed and didn’t change, as misclassification of employees as exempt from FLSA overtime requirements is a costly mistake. They will also need to move quickly to plan and implement any necessary changes by the December 1, 2016 compliance deadline.
We will discuss creating an institutional action plan for evaluating your institution’s current practices and transitioning to the requirements of the final rule. We will discuss particular positions and issues relevant to higher education and student affairs including:
- Residence life staff, admissions staff/recruiters, assistant coaches and athletic trainers;
- Part-time and partial-year workers;
- Understanding what constitutes “on-call” time;
- Evaluating the best options for compliance given legal, financial, employee morale, and other considerations specific to your institution; and
- Determining any unintended consequences of electing certain options for compliance.
See more at: www.myacpa.org/events/fsla-overtime-rule-webinar