The Investigations program is designed for HR professionals, security personnel, loss prevention and risk management and in-house counsel. During this seminar, you will learn and practice the skills necessary to conduct an investigation into any type of employee misconduct claim. We will take you and your staff step-by-step through the process of conducting an investigation.
You will learn:
- The fundamental importance of a comprehensive investigations program for your organization, implemented by trained personnel. We will review the legal, practical, and employee morale benefits associated with a thorough grievance policy and investigations procedure administered by trained investigators.
- Claim intake: Ensure that you use this critical opportunity to identify the issues being alleged, work with a reluctant claimant, gather the material facts presented by the claimant, avoid the pit-falls of a secrecy pact, and create appropriate confirming documentation.
- Determination of need for Interim Action: Determine whether the Respondent (or, in rare circumstances, Claimant) should be placed on Administrative Leave, and under what conditions. We will include specific content on threat investigation concerns and related administrative leave issues.
- The “art” behind the ordering of interviewees to appropriately limit the scope of the investigation process while minimizing the potential for retaliation.
- Effective questioning techniques through participation in a sexual harassment case study (through claim intake, interview of respondent, and witness interviews).
Proper use of credibility assessment tools, including assessment of corroborating and circumstantial evidence.
- Application of the appropriate burden of proof.
- Drafting of a comprehensive legally-defensible investigation report.
This engaging and interactive program will include a seven-part sexual harassment case study, taking participants through each of the key aspects of a professionally-conducted internal investigation. We are limiting attendance to 25 attendees per date. Limiting the number of people who attend will give us the opportunity to spend more time with each attendee and to answer as many of your questions as we can.
The seminar fee includes the course materials and continental breakfast.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing, either by fax or email, 7 days before the seminar in order to receive a refund. No refunds will be given after that time. Attendee substitutions may be made at any time.